Thursday, September 27, 2012

For My Entertainment


So here's the story: For way, way too long, my living room tv wall has looked like this (or similar variations of it):

 
 
 
For those who know me, you know I've been searching for an entertainment center/console/buffet piece ever since we moved in, but it just took 30 months and 9 days for it to happen. The timing was just never right, there was something we needed worse on "the list," or we just never found the perfect piece.
 
A little over a month ago, I saw an estate sale advertised on Facebook by a local company I follow. There was an entertainment center pictured, and it definitely sparked my interest. Tyler and I had a date night planned for the following evening, which was day 1 of the estate sale, and we planned to swing by when we arrived in the big city. We arrived at 5:45pm and the sale closed at 6, so we hurried in and in shock realized the entertainment center hadn't sold yet (I say "we" to make it easier - but really Tyler had no idea I saw an entertainment center and he found out about the estate sale after we were already on our way into town - I didn't think it was worth mentioning to him yet, because I never thought it would work out).
 
After realizing that the piece was in fact in great shape, very well-constructed, and not at all over-priced (a lot of times I find things/furniture overpriced a little at these particular estate sales), I knew we had some thinking and talking to do :) We found out that the piece was custom-made by a local, reputable cabinet maker, and that the following day everything would be marked 25% off, so we were welcomed to buy it at the discounted price. It was priced about $465, so with the discount it cost us around $350. We estimate that the people probably paid over $2000 to have it custom made, so I feel like it was a fair price.
 
There is a lot more to this story including sending my mother to measure our tv and then Tyler questioning her measuring skills to the point of needing a second opinion, 5 men taking it apart/loading/unloading/reassembling it, and several other funny/annoying occurrences but the point here is, we bought it (!!!) and it is absolutely perfect in our house. Without further ado, here is (a bad, phone-quality picture) of our newest family member:
 
{Right after it was moved in}

  
I knew from the beginning I would change the hardware on the cabinet. The knobs they chose are really great, expensive knobs, but they are brushed nickel and just not really my taste. I took my time looking, brought home about 20 different handles/pulls to try, and then something great happened. I entered a giveaway on House*Tweaking, a blog I've followed for a long time and love, and I won a $50 credit to D. Lawless Hardware, who specializes in cabinet hardware. Whoa! I needed 8 pulls and I knew almost exactly the type I wanted. I chose a flat black (I wanted that for contrast to the off-white wood), and I chose a handle with straight(er) lines to give a more modern contrast to the very traditional piece of furniture. They came this week and Tyler installed them yesterday, and they are SO PERFECT. I am so happy with the entertainment center and new hardware. It makes watching tv a lot more pleasant :) Thank you Tyler, for buying this (it was sort of my birthday present) and thank you Dana for hosting the giveaway!
 
{The original hardware}
 
{The original hardware}
 
{The new hardware}
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 
 

11 comments:

  1. Oh les, I LOVE that!!!!! Great choice on the hardware too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! You have the best decorating sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good Leslie! Mom found our entertainment center on Craigslist (it has a similar shape to the one you bought, but is not painted) and it is probably one of my favorite pieces of furniture in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I'm excited you got a fancy entertainment center, it seems you have definitely sealed the deal on that size or smaller of a TV...haha...that thing barely fits! No wonder Tyler called for a second opinion! I don't know that I've seen a white entertainment center...nice score!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Leslie. I even like the old hardware too. But the new is more outstanding. Love your front door decor too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. Tab - that is hilarious! I know - we aren't huge tv people - as far as having a huge one or (obviously) having the latest and greatest. While we were waiting to hear from my mom on if our tv would fit, I suggested "well, we are getting such a good deal on this, that we could buy a new tv if ours doesn't fit" - and I bet you can guess how fast that got vetoed. I sure wish I had a picture of his facial reaction after I said that too, I bet the world would get a kick out of it. Tyler says that this piece is NOT moving with us when we leave this house, so I guess it's at that point and time I know we will get a bigger tv ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here from House*Tweaking - it looks phenomenal! Such a good deal for a piece of furniture that big! Love what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes-- it looks amazing! When you get the bigger tv, I'll take it off your hands! What is the silver thing off to the side of the furniture? is it magnetic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is actually an oil drip pan that you can buy at Wal-Mart (automotive department) or any automotive store. I posted about it back in March. We use it as a magnet board for play -- and most recently for several activites we do for speech therapy. They cost less than $10. Thanks for looking!

      Delete
  9. Um wow! You really scored on that cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! Thanks for mentioning D. Lawless Hardware! I'm glad you were able to make good use of the gift certificate! The cabinet looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...