Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Shredded Beef Tacos

Buenas noches!

Once apon a time, I was in Dallas with my mother-in-law and brother-in-law to do some Christmas shopping, and we stayed at the Doubletree on Northcentral Expressway. In our room, there was a Dallas Dining Guide that listed the top 25 favorite dishes in Dallas. We decided to plan our meals around this guide on the trip (for the most part). The first night, we trekked downtown to Fuel City via GPS. We hesitantly walked into the Fuel City convenience store (not the best neighborhood, and there was a van outside blaring hispanic music so loud that we couldn't hear our own thoughts) and headed towards the taco window in the back (don't come here alone or with your small children). We each ordered a couple of tacos and hopped back in the car to head back to the hotel. Once we got back in the room, we began our meal.

That was the moment my life changed forever. Watch this video.



I couldn't have said it better myself! Ever since this trip, I've been obsessed with shredded beef/brisket tacos. I have ordered them at every Mexican restaurant/taco stand/etc., but I've never tasted one half as divine as a Fuel City one.

There are a couple of restaurants that have pretty good ones, and I order them there, but I will reserve the "best taco experience ever" for Dallas trips.

A couple of weeks ago, I did some research online to try to find a good recipe for homemade shredded beef tacos. I was not trying to recreate the Fuel City tacos (because it can't be done), but just trying to make a good option for taco nights at our house. I followed THIS recipe with only minor adaptations, and the result was great! They were among some of the best tacos I've had. My husband and brother also had them that night, and both agreed they were fabulous (although neither used that particular word). The best part was that it requires VERY little cooking or prep. It slow cooks in the crockpot for 6-8 hours.

Here's a look at our meal:



I like to keep it simple (the Fuel City way) with cilantro, lime, and a tiny bit of shredded colby jack. The boys doctored theirs up a bit more. This recipe will definitely become a staple at our house!

Little Man was also excited about these tacos. Here's proof:


Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...