Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Caught Up

Lately I've been studying a lot about living obediently. I get caught up a lot in things that just really don't matter. I set a lot of selfish goals and work hard to meet them, when really I should be working toward goals that really matter. I'm saying all of that to say, I fail a lot, but hopefully I'm learning.

The world teaches that selfishness is right. It's completely normal to hear things like "I deserve this," and for people to be unabashedly only concerned with their own world. But in all reality, that is wrong. It's not biblical to make yourself or your own affairs numero uno. The two greatest commandments are instructions to love God and love others. Serve God and serve others. There is nothing about serving myself before either of those.

My dad always taught me to put others first. He probably told me to quit worrying about my own problems or to worry about other people before myself about five million times (don't have a heart attack Dad, we do listen to you...........sometimes), and I probably rolled my eyes five million times in response. I never liked hearing it because it was usually heard when I was in the middle of a high-school-teenage-girl-extreme-crisis. At the time, I usually was pouting because I wished I had the type of parents that sympathized with every "situation" I went through and told me that the world was treating me wrong and I deserved better. I definitely didn't have those kind of parents, but it was because they were trying to teach me that I deserve nothing. I'm glad I don't get what I "deserve."

Here are a few words inspiring me lately:

"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”  Mark 10:45

You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself." Galatians 5:13-14 

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Luke 6:38

In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16

1 comment:

  1. love this! and very timely as i go back to school! for the most part, i love my job, but if i'm not careful, i can catch myself thinking that such & such isn't part of my job, or i don't deserve having to do XYZ. i will make it my goal this year to do those tasks for jesus! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...