Friday, August 24, 2012

Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff

 
 
I feel like I'm letting myself down if I'm not trying to make something new every week or two. Needless to say if you live in my household, I've been letting myself down a little more than usual lately...but I'm focused on more important things. A great-Aunt or distant cousin in Tyler's family wrote down some "family recipes" for us in a wedding card (which, by the way, I consider a GREAT gift...I love good recipes and especially family ones), and one of them was called "Quick & Easy Creamed Beef." It is a quick middle-of-the-week crock-pot recipe that uses stew meat, creamed soups, onion soup mix and a can of sprite (plus a few other things). I made it often for the first few years of marriage. It was the closest thing I had made to Beef Stroganoff until last night. This recipe was amazing!
 
I got this recipe via my mother, via Pinterest, via
 

MKC button

How's that for a recipe heritage? I shamelessly copied the recipe pretty much exactly, with the exception of using garlic instead of garlic salt, and
Moore's Marinade in place of the Worcestershire sauce (which I do pretty much in every recipe, because I buy it by the gallon and it's good). I'll go ahead and type it out anyway, so you don't have to go to a different page to see it.

 
Ingredients:
3 lb. chuck roast, cubed
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1 T. Worch. sause
1 1/2 Cups beef broth
1 T. ketchup
1/3 C flour
7 T. apple juice or water
sliced mushrooms
1/2 C light or regular sour cream
 
Instructions:
Place the stew meat, salt, pepper and onion in the slow cooker. Stir to distribute the seasonings and onion. In a small bowl, combine the garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth and ketchup. Pour over the meat. Cook for 7-9 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high. About 30 minutes before serving, combine the flour and apple juice in a small bowl, whisking vigorously to combine well. The roux should be thick but still pourable so add a tablespoon of apple juice or water at a time to thin, if needed. Pour the flour mixture into the slow cooker, whisking quickly to mix in the roux with the stew meat and juices and to avoid lumps. Add the mushrooms and stir. Cook on high for 30 minutes. Stir in ½ cup sour cream right before serving. Serve over pasta, rice or baked potatoes.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...