Monday, July 2, 2012

Gratitude

Yesterday during Sunday School we heard that a sweet one-year old baby girl who goes to our church was rushed to the emergency room because she wasn't breathing. At the end of the service our pastor got word that she had passed away. She was born with some brain damage and her parents knew that this might eventually happen, but nothing can prepare you for that day, especially when she was so much a part of their lives already. We closed the service in prayer for her sweet, grieving family.

Several months ago, a friend I graduated high school with lost his 3-month-old baby boy to SIDS. It hit me so close to home, that I couldn't go to the funeral, I just baked a ham and giant casserole and took it to his house for the family's meal after the service.

It seemed like during Levi's first year, I heard about more acquaintances/friends/classmates who lost children than I had heard about in the previous 26 years of my life.

We've got some minor developmental/health things going on with Levi right now. Compared to these families who have lost their babies or are dealing with major health issues or cancer, it is so minor. Even though it's still scary to us and we are being pretty aggressive with doctor appointments and therapies, I am overwhelmingly thankful for his health. He is healthy and happy and I'm so thankful that God is allowing me to be his mother. My heart is burdened for these families, but it is so heavy with gratitude.

{thanks to Amy Dale for this photo}
Rejoice always,  pray continually,  give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.  He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created. James 1:17-18


But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.  But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 1 Timothy 6:6-8

Nevertheless, each person should live as a believer in whatever situation the Lord has assigned to them, just as God has called them. 1 Corinthians 7:17


And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 02, 2012

    Thank you for this. It has been the same thought going through my mind/heart since I heard about that precious baby!
    -Rhonda Russell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking good thoughts for little Levi and you and Tyler, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...