Thursday, October 18, 2012

Future Aspirations


"Good job" is something I say to Levi probably no less than 50 times a day. It's important to verbally reward him during therapy and well, therapy somehow finds its way into every hour of our days.
I love to hear "good job," but it takes a lot of discipline on my part for me to say it to someone else. That's a flaw of mine that I try to constantly work on. My "love language" is 'Words of Affirmation' (actually, I have always thought I fit into all 5 love languages, which makes it really hard on my loved ones...sorry Tyler...but the affirmation one characterizes me the most).

In high school, when a student is required to fill out a questionnaire for the yearbook, or to be announced at Homecoming, or for a graduation recognition at church, the question about "future aspirations" is always included at the end. As a teenager, and even a college student, the natural tendencies of the world and your age trick you into thinking the things that are important are to be well-traveled, have lots of fun and lots of friends, eventually get married, have a family, and be something really great. At least for everyone I have known, watched/witnessed, or been close to, this has been the norm. I'm positive I once had the same thoughts and "aspirations." I actually clearly remember just jotting something down and thinking to myself, "there is no way I can write anything meaningful here because I don't really know what my future holds, so I'll just scribble down the same boring stuff everyone expects." 

The last year of my life I've been thinking more clearly about aspirations. It's funny how growing up changes your goals. I like to travel, but I really have no desire or need to have a lot of places stamped on my passport. I really don't have the desire to make a ton of money, or move somewhere exciting, or strive to become any variation of people who I may have once envied. I just want to do things and be involved in things that really matter. I want to be the kind of person who isn't consumed with myself, like the world says it's "ok" to be. I want to be someone who serves and gives and is concerned with the needs of other people; never satisfied with myself or my walk and always knowing I can strive to be better. Those are things that matter.

I have daily struggles and frustrations like anyone does, but right now I am involved in something that matters. It's teaching me to be disciplined in different areas of my life, and I can definitely see rewards from that. It's also helping me to develop meaningful aspirations.

In college I went to a conference with my friend Cassidy, and she introduced me to Nichole Nordeman's (who was playing at the conference) music and I fell in love with her song "Legacy." It's been around for quite a while but the words are really, really powerful. It really, quite clearly sums up this post that I have rambled through, about my aspirations.

________________________________________________________________________________
I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much


I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world


I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy


I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy


Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...


Nichole Nordeman "Legacy"
______________________________________________________________________________

“His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant!" Matthew 25:23

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this! and this song is why i re-titled my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh! and also, words of affirmation is my love language too!

      Delete
    2. That's funny! It's such a great song and message! That's neat to know that's why you retitled your blog:)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...