Wednesday, October 3, 2012

White Beans & Ham {Crock Pot}

 
With the promise of a daytime high in the 50s later this week, this recipe is perfect for me to share. It's a super easy and super tasty comfort meal. I grew up feeling indifferent to a dinner of 'beans and cornbread,' and always thought it was weird that my mom and dad actually had cravings for this favorite meal of theirs. It wasn't until I was married and cooking for my own family that I really developed a love for it. I've always just made regular brown beans, slow-cooked on the stove for most of the day. The problem with that is that you have to be home all day to "watch" them cook, add water, and make sure the house doesn't burn down. When I saw this recipe for a crock pot version, I was sold. No prep, no watching. I did a few minor things different (which is why my beans look tan, instead of white - no taste difference though!).
 
Ingredients:
1 lb. package of white (northern) beans
ham bone or cooked cut-up ham
1 packet of onion soup mix
pepper
about 6 cups of water (give or take, depending on the thickness you prefer)
 
Instructions:
Rinse beans and throw them in the crock pot. Add ham bone or ham, soup mix packet, pepper, and water. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with cornbread and fried taters for best results :)

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...