Friday, January 13, 2012

Healthy? Taco Soup

The question mark in the title is unfortunately not a typo. This recipe was adapted from a Weight Watchers one, but I have no clue how far I have adapted it:) Oops. I will tell you one thing, it's excellent. There are thousands upon millions of "taco-soup-ish" recipes floating around Pinterest lately, so this post may be completely irrelevant to some. Sorry. It's relevant to me however, and since this is my blog, I will continue.

1 1/2 to 2lbs of lean ground beef or turkey (this particular time I used 1.85lbs)
1 onion, chopped
3 cans of ranch style beans
1 can of corn
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of rotel
1 small can (8 oz) tomato sauce
3 C water
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 packet of ranch dip mix
Garnishes to throw on top (optional)(cilantro, lime, sour cream, shredded cheese)

Brown meat, drain off any grease. Add all other ingredients, simmer for 20 to 30 minutes (perfect amount of time to whip up some cornbread).

*This time I bought the "Mexican" variety of all the canned items (rotel, diced tomatoes, corn, & even the beans) and it gave it a little extra kick.
* I do know that pretty much the main difference in my version versus the WW one is that their recipe calls for only 1 lb of meat. Everything else is pretty much the same, minus any garnishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...