Friday, January 6, 2012

Restaurant-Style Smashed Potatoes

I ran across this recipe back in 2010 on Ree Drummond's blog (Pioneer Woman). I made these last night and from my husband's reaction, I'm not sure why I don't make this easy side more often (he evidently thought this was the first time I had made it - but we've had it a few times). I slightly adapted her recipe, and here's what I came up with:

Ingredients:
5 large red potatoes, whole & scrubbed clean
1 stick of butter, softened & cut into pieces
5 slices of bacon, cooked & crumbled
2 whole green onions, sliced
1 C light sour cream
1 C french fried onions
S & P to taste

Instructions:
In a microwave-safe large bowl, cook potatoes in the microwave.* Smash with a potato masher (they will not be soft and gooey like regular mashed potatoes - you are just smashing them up). Immediately add softened butter, sour cream, onions, and bacon and stir with rubber spatula. Add salt and pepper, then fold in the fried onions (you can reserve a few for topping). Serve hot.

*Original recipe said to cook for 10 min in microwave but I had to cook about 13 minutes. Remember to pierce them a few times with a fork first. They will be semi-hard to smash up, but just use some elbow grease and smash them up with the skin and all.

{Ingredients, minus S & P}
{A great side dish for anything grilled - we had pork chops}

2 comments:

  1. yum!! i love mashed potatoes; i'll have to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you like them Meg!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...