Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Project Post 17: Flip Book

Since this is the last day of January, it's probably time to get out of the Christmas frame of mind. Now, I took down my decorations on December 26th, but I left up all my Christmas cards to enjoy them a little longer. So, I must confess that just up until a couple of days ago, the wall in our kitchen still boasted this:


And there were a lot more on a vertical swivel display on my island, too. Oops! Now they're down, packed neatly away and stored, and the chalkboard is free to display non-Christmas messages.

After I got married and way before we had a little one running around, I thought it would be a good idea to scrapbook my Christmas cards every year (also back when I had an abundance of free time in the morning and evening). It was a good idea, but now it's just a little unrealistic, and living in a small house makes me stingy with storage. I don't necessarily love the thought of having 4 bulky scrapbooks of cards (and counting) just because I enjoy looking through them from time to time. Plus, I had a complete album of 2008 cards, a partial album of 2009 cards, and 2.5 years of incomplete albums that were eating away at me to complete. So, I decided to get rid of the album idea and go with the little flip-book-on-key-rings idea floating around Pinterest. I didn't even pin a picture of it on one of my boards (as far as I remember), but I've seen dozens of them floating around.

Last night I finally got around to putting it together. I love finishing a task that gets clutter off my counters, island, table, etc. And this one did it, so it is a very rewarding craft. Here are the details:

{Punched two holes in each card, made a little cover for front & back, secured with two scrapbook/key rings}
{This takes up WAY less space :)}
{Detail shot of inside - cards arranged by year}
{Detail shot}
(Note - this really only works for picture cards, which are really all I keep each year. It would be impossible to do this with regular greeting-style cards I think)

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea! I only keep photo cards also and the last few years I've tried trimming them to fit into my regular albums (while being careful to not remove any heads!). I think I'll give this a try in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica! I know...I love having them to display, but I'm sooo glad to have this now instead of a huge 12x12 album

      Delete
  2. Great idea to keep the memories. Thanks so much for joining us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We loved having you and hope to see you back next week with more great ideas! - The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this idea. The cards I received this year were much too big for me to try and cut down to size for regular photo albums. This seems like a great solution.

    A note about the greeting card dilemna you mention... You could cut the card in two, so it is like two single pieces, but they're still right next to each other. If you do want to save the greeting card that should work. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...